Historical Places, Buildings, & Sites
Grove Hill, Jackson, Thomasville, and Whatley all have historic districts that are listed on the National Register. The Campbell community in the northwest corner of the county has an historic district listed on the state register.
The complete listing of buildings and sites on the state register includes:
- Alston-Cobb-Postma House, 120 Cobb Street, Grove Hill, circa 1854; listed: 9/1/78.
- Armistead Home, 1 Block West on US 84 from US 43, Grove Hill circa 1843; listed: 1/29/80.
- Campbell Historic District, AL Hwy. 69 and Clarke CR 44, Campbell; 1870-1950 Listed: 9/30/99
- Cobb-Waite Home, 2 mi W on US 84, Grove Hill; circa late 1860s, listed: 1/29/80
- Courthouse Historic District, Grove Hill, 1832; listed: 3/24/95
- Dickinson House, 120 Dickinson Avenue, Grove Hill, circa 1845; listed: 1/1/78
- Finlay House, Gainestown, circa 1846; listed: 9/17/76
- Grant-Carleton House, Grove Hill, Listed: 1/29/80
- Johnson House, Jackson (Rockville Community); circa 1900; listed: 8/3/90
- Kimbell-Rivers-Woodson House, Mayton Drive, Jackson, circa 1848, listed: 9/17/76
- The Lodge (Cleveland Home) Line Rd. 4 1/2 mi S of US 84, Suggsville, circa 1860's, listed: 6/9/77
- Loranz-McCrary House, 500 Commerce St, Jackson, c. 1900; listed: 3/19/93
- Orange Hill Road Historic District, Grove Hill, ca. 1845, listed: 3/24/95
- Thomasville High School, 527 West Front Street, Thomasville, 1929, listed: 8/25/94
- Upper Confederate Salt Works, Store Creek, 4 mi N of Jackson, circa 1861-1865, listed: 7/9/76
- Wilson-Finch-Mason Log House, Old Line Road, Manila, circa 1822, listed: 4/4/78
- Wilson's Mill, 2 mi N US 84 between Grove Hill & Coffeeville, late 1800s, listed: 1/25/77
- Wing-Hudley House 104 Skipper Drive, Jackson, circa 1879, listed: 10/20/77
- Woodlands, Gosport vcn, circa 1840, listed: 1/29/80.
Places and sites on the national register include:
- Airmount Grave Shelter, N side of AL 5, 0.5 mi. W of couny Line, Thomasville
- Alston-Cobb House, 120 Cobb St., Grove Hill
- Bush House, 168 N. Church St., Grove Hill
- Clarke Mills, 301 W. Church St., Jackson
- Cleveland, Stephen Beech, House, Cty Rd. 35, 2.4 mi. S of US 84, Suggsville
- Coate, John A., House, DuBose St., bet. Church and Crawford, Grove Hill
- Cobb House, US 84, 1.4 mi. W of US 43, Grove Hill
- Dickinson House, 101 Dickinson Ave., Grove Hill
- Fort Sinquefield, SE of Grove Hill, Grove Hill
- Gainestown Methodist Church and Cemetery, Cty. Rd. 29, 0.3 mi. S of Cty. Rd. 33, Gainestown
Gainestown Schoolhouse, W. side Gainestown--Suggsville Public Rd. N of Good Hope Church, Gainestown
- Grove Hill Courthouse Square Historic District, Roughly along Cobb, Court, Jackson, and Main Sts., Grove Hill
- Jackson Historic District , Roughly along College, Forest, and Carroll Aves., bounded by Cedar, Florida, Commerce, Clinton, and Spruce Sts., Jackson
- McClellan, Doit W., Lustron House, 116 W. Pearl St., Jackson
- McKee, J.P., Lustron House, 519 College Ave., Jackson
- Nettles, Isaac, Gravestones, E side Mt Nebo Rd., 0.5 mi. S of Cty Rd. 19, Carlton
- Pugh, Jesse Pickens, Farmstead, US 84, 3.5 mi. W of Grove Hill, Grove Hill
- Thomasville Historic District, Roughly bounded by AL 43, 1145 W. Front St., Wilson St., and 818 W. Third St., Thomasville
- Whatley Historic District, Roughly along Whatley Rd., from Grove Hill to the RR tracks, Whatley
- Wilson-Finlay House, N of Gainestown on Suggsville Rd.
- Woodlands, Off U.S. 84 , Gosport.
Clarke County's Historical Markers
Central Salt Works marker located on west side of County Road 15 at Salt Creek near Rockville; site of large salt works where salt was mined as early as 1816, but Indians had obtained salt here for centuries prior. Very important site during Civil War; remains of rock furnaces and wooden pipes can still be seen. Monument erected by Clarke Co. Historical Society, 1985.
Site of Clarke County's first Courthouse marker is 2.5 miles north of U.S. Highway 84 at old Clarkesville. Erected by the Clarke Co. Historical Society, 1976.
Kimbell-James Massacre occurred near this marker located on U.S. 84 at Whatley. The massacre happened on Sept. 1, 1813, during the Creek Indian War. Erected by the Alabama Historical Association.
Choctaw Corner is located west of Thomasville on County Road 48 near Elam Church. This was the dividing line established by the Creek and Choctaw Indians about 1808. The disputed territory boundary between the two tribes was settled by two ball games. Erected by Clarke County Historical Society, 1978.
Fort Landrum Site's marker is located next to Berry's Chapel A.M. Zion Church on an unpaved road just off Clarke County Road 3. The fort was built around the John Landrum home during the Creek War. The first county court met there in 1813. The monument was erected by the Clarke County Historical Society in 1977.
Old Line Road marker is located at the intersection of U.S. 84 and the Old Line Road, three miles east of Whatley. The road follows the watershed between the Alabama and Tombigbee Rivers and ends at Choctaw Corner; it was the dividing line beween the Creek and Choctaw Indian lands as established about 1808. The marker was erected in 1978 by the Clarke County Historical Society.
Kimbell House, located on Mayton Drive in Jackson, was the home of Isham Kimbell, the only family member to survive the Kimbell-James Massacre near Fort Sinquefield in 1813. He was a sheriff of Clarke County and later Circuit Court clerk. He was a successful merchant. The home was built in 1848 on Commerce Street; it was moved to its present site in 1977 by the Jackson Historical Committee. Marker erected by the Alabama Historical Association.
Clarke-Washington Electric Membership Corporation: This marker is located on the north side of US Highway 84 at Coffeeville. The corporation was organized near this site on March 2, 1936 by some 83 members from Clarke and Washington Counties. This was the first rural electrical cooperative organized in Alabama under the executive order signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on May 11, 1935. The co-op was later moved to Commerce Street in Jackson. Erected by the Alabama Rural Electric Association in 1985.
Grave Marker of Major Jeremiah Austill is located just off County Road 15 about five miles south of Jackson near Carney's Bluff. Austill was a hero of the Canoe Fight of 1813, an early skirmish of the Creek War. He died in Clarke County on December 8, 1881. Placed by the Needham Bryan Chapter, D.A.R.
Fort Sinquefield was located just south of U.S. Highway 84 between Grove Hill and Whatley. During the Creek War it was the site of the Kimbell-James Massacre. The marker was erected by Clarke County school children in 1951.
King Institute, located on a county road just north of U.S. Highway 84 west of Grove Hill, was a well known school from 1880-1910. The marker was erected by the Clarke Co. Historical Society in 1985.
Old Bassett's Creek Baptist Church, located just off County Road 41 near Walker Springs, is the second oldest Baptist church in the state. It was established March 31, 1810, by Rev. J. Courtney. The marker was erected in 1937 by W.V. Reid.
Upper Salt Works marker is north of Jackson off Highway 69 at County Road 23. The area from Stave Creek to Jackson Creek was one of the main sites for making salt during the years 1862-1864. Furnaces of native stone were built and salt water from dug wells evaporated by boiling in large kettles. Six hundred bushels of salt was produced each day at the site. A big town grew up around the Salt Works, but it disappeared after the end of the Civil War. The marker was erected by the Clarke County Historical Society in 1979.
Rev. Timothy Horton Ball is buried in the Creighton Cemetery near this marker, located on U.S. 84 at Whatley next to the Kimbell-James marker. Rev. Ball was a minister, teacher, historian, and author. His notes on Clarke County are a vital record of its past. The marker was erected in 1980 by the Clarke County Historical Society.
Union Methodist Church was established in 1858 one quarter mile east of the marker, which is located on County Road 3 north of McVay. The site was used for the annual encampment of the county Confederate veterans for a number of years. The marker was erected by the Clarke County Historical Society in 1980.
French's Chapel was the first church building of record in Clarke County erected on County Road 33 at Barlow Bend in 1819 by John French of Virginia who had organized a Methodist congregation here in 1811. The marker was erected by the Clarke County Historical Society.
John Murphy was Alabama's fourth governor. He came to Monroe County in 1819 from North Carolina. He was Alabama's governor from 1825-1829 and was elected to Congress for one term in 1833. He died in 1841 and is buried near the marker on what was the site of his plantation. The marker is located on a dirt road south of U.S. 84 at Gosport; it was erected by the Clarke County Historical Society in 1979.
Mitcham Beat and the Mitcham War: This marker is located on Highway 154 in the New Prospect community. Beat 15 of Clarke County was known as Mitcham Beat after an early county family. During the early 1890's a regrettable series of events led to the “Mitchum War” in August of 1893. A band of men allegedly committed a number of unlawful acts including murder in what was known as “Hell at the Breech”. A posse organized to go after these men allegedly took the law into their own hands and executed several key members of the smaller group. The marker was erected in 1981 by the Clarke County Historical Society.
German POW Camp: This to-be-erected marker will be located on College Avenue in Jackson near the site of what was a German POW Camp during World War II.
Creagh Law Office: This law office, now occupied by the Grove Hill Chamber of Commerce, is one of the oldest structures of its kind in Alabama. It was built in the 1830's, and it was the law office of Judge John Gates Creagh. The building was moved to its present site in 1992. The marker was erected by the Clarke County Historical Commission.
West Bend was settled in 1809 in what was then the Mississippi Territory. The community had a fort, an academy, and many prominent families. The marker was erected on County Road 21 in West Bend by the Clarke County Historical Society in 1984.
Tallahatta Springs was the site of a mineral springs at the headwaters of Tallahatta Creek; a health resort was established here in the mid and later 19th century. Tallahatta is a Creek Muscogee Indian word meaning a town has been taken with many springs. The marker was erected on County Road 44 between Thomasville and Campbell by the Clarke County Historical Society.
Soldiers of World War I Memorial is located in front of the Clarke County Courthouse in Grove Hill. The original marker had the names of the white soldiers and black soldiers on opposite sides; it was removed and is now at the Clarke County Museum nearby.
Fort Madison was located near Manila on the Suggsville-Gainestown (Old Line) Road. This pioneer stockage was commanded by Captain Samuel Dale and Evan Austill. Choctaw chieftan Pushmataha often visited here. The marker was erected by the Elizabeth Bradford Chapter D.A.R.
Captain Andrew Jackson passed near the site of this marker on the Old Line Road north of U.S. 84. He and his troops rested here for the night in 1813. The marker was erected by Clarke Co. D.A.R.
Jackson was laid out in 1815 by the Pine Level Land Company and named Pine Level. It was incorporated in 1816 and renamed for General Jackson. The marker, located in front of City Hall on Commerce Street in Jackson, was erected by the county Historical Society.
Gainestown was founded in 1809 by George Strother Gaines as a Choctaw-Creek trading post. In the steamboat heydey Gainestown was the largest river port between Mobile and Selma. The marker's located on County Road 29 in Gainestown. It was erected by the Clarke County Historical Society.
Suggsville was laid out in 1819 at the crossing of the Ole Line and Federal Roads; it was named for storekeeper William Suggs. It was the site of the county's first paper, and many factories and businesses were located here. Extensive aviation experiments were carried out here by Dr. Denny before the Wright Brothers famous flight. The marker's located on County Road 35.
Clarke County Courthouse is located on Court Street in Grove Hill. The marker is located on the lawn. The county seat was moved here from Clarksville in 1832.
Thomas Bradford, a Revolutionary War soldier, was buried by the Old Line Road near Salem Baptist Church. The marker was erected by D.A.R. Clarke County. Another Revolutionary War soldier, Captain William Armistead, was also honored by the DAR, Clarke County, with a marker at his grave site. Note: Both these markers are located on private property.
The First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station was located in Jackson on what is now the grounds of Jackson Middle School on College Avenue. It operated there from 1896 until 1936.
Ulcanush Baptist Church marker is located at the intersection of state Highway 69 and County Road 154 north of Coffeeville. This is the oldest continuous church in Clarke County; it was organized in 1816.
John Mason, Sr. was killed by night hunters where this marker is located on Old Line Road just south of the Ft. Madison marker. The marker was erected by his father, wife, and children.
Bashi Skirmish: 1812-1813 is the site of a marker at the Failetown community on a dirt road between Campbell and Woods Bluff. On Oct. 4, 1813 a skirmish of the Creek War was held here.
Soldiers of the American Revolution are honored with this marker, located on the grounds of the Clarke County Museum, Cobb Street, Grove Hill.
In Jackson, two markers are found at City Hall on Commerce Street;
a War Memorial honoring the county's war dead, and Brook Cannon #S-96.
The cannon there came from Oven Bluff, site of Civil War-era Fort
Stonewall. Oven Bluff was a site in Clarke County used by the
Confederates for making gunboats. The cannon was manufactured in Selma;
this type of cannon was the most powerful type used in the war. It was
brought to Jackson in the early 1920's and is today displayed in front
of Jackson City Hall.