Old Lock One Park
Located off Highway 69 between Coffeeville and Jackson. The original park development in the mid-50s resulted from a modernization program of the locks and dams on the Black Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway begun in 1937. Lock #1, which was completed in 1902, was one of 17 low-lift locks and dams constructed on the Black Warrior and Tombigbee rivers between 1895 and 1915.
In 1956, Coffeeville Lock and Dam replaced three of the old structures, Locks 1, 2 & 3. With construction of the replacement locks and dams, the old structures were removed and in many cases the sites converted into recreation areas, providing access to the river.
The modernization program also included removing sharp and sometimes lengthy bends in the river by construction of bypass canals, which resulted in formation of "oxbow lakes" in the old river channel.
Lock #1 was bypassed by a canal and remains intact in one of the oxbow lakes. The lock and dam has been determined as eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.